Ok, French food and french breakfasts. About as non-vegan as you can get right? How about the Croque Madame. Bread with eggs, cheese and ham. But guess what? I went and veganized it. Boom.
I used to make this recipe in my pre-vegan days, when I was just a vegetarian, using some sham. Right after I went vegan, I thought, well, that’s one I’m going to have to give up. After a little while, I realized, hey-o! I can veganize anything, yo.
In this recipe we actually had our friends Emily and Melissa of Jersey City Vegan over to play around with spherification of The Vegg, using Calcium Chloride. After a few misses we finally got it right and made a perfect egg yolk.
You actually don’t have to do the spherification of The Vegg to make this recipe work. Since you just pop the egg anyway, it’s fine to blend some Vegg and then pour the Vegg over the finished recipe. It will taste exactly the same. But for more info on how to spherify, go to this webpage: Vegg Tips.
Here is the recipe for Croque Madame. Enjoy!!
Makes 2 servings
|Extra firm tofu, pressed
4 tablespoons Earth Balance, divided
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened, unflavored soy milk
Salt and pepper
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
|2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard
2 slices white bread
May Wah Sham or other vegan ham substitute
4 oz. grated Daiya Mozzarella
Approx 1/4 cup of prepared Vegg
1. Press as much water as possible out of extra firm tofu. Once pressed, cut two long slices of tofu, approx 1/4 inch thick.
2. Place a small sauce pot over medium low heat and melt 2 Tbsp Earth Balance in it. Whisk in a rounded tablespoon of flour and cook 1 minute or so.
3. Slowly whisk in soy milk and bring to a bubble, then drop heat to low.
4.Season the sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg and Dijon.
5. When sauce is thick and coats back of a spoon, turn off heat.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance in each of 2 medium nonstick skillets, both over medium low heat. When butter melts add the thinly sliced tofu, season with salt and pepper and then flip, browning lightly on both sides. Cut a small round in the tofu.
7. After tofu is cooked, add Sham to the frying pan, adding more Earth Balance if necessary, and flip until sham is crisped.
8. To the second skillet add 2 slices bread and toast lightly on first side then turn the bread. Top turned bread liberally with sauce, then split the Daiya Mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread.
9. Use a spatula to transfer the Sham to the tops of the open faced sandwiches. Then top with tofu. Cover the pan with foil and turn off heat. Let pan stand 5 minutes to melt cheese.
10. Remove from pan once cheese is melted and then top with spherified Vegg yolk or simply with prepared Vegg mixture. Serve hot and enjoy!