This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite new vegan cookbooks, Vegan Junk Food. Buy this book! It’s got so much good stuff in it.
We’ve been making pizzas at home for years. Well, Keith has. My old medical school roommate, Bimal, used to call Keith “the pizza master”. Keith’s embraced his wife’s Italian culture and now tosses dough like a true Neopolitan.
I adapted the recipe from this cookbook to use Keith’s dough recipe and my own pesto recipe. I found the proportions of the sauce were way off so with a little experimenting, I found the right mix.
Often we make vegan pizzas here with Daiya and some vegan pepperoni, but this sauce is so creamy and delicious, you don’t even miss the cheese in the slightest. It’s a real crowd pleaser!
This takes a few hours of prep, but once you’ve made the pizza dough and the pesto, repeating the recipe later in the week is a breeze now that you have the ingredients made.
Keith’s Pizza Dough
Makes two 12 inch crusts
|• 4 cups flour
• 2 tsp salt
• 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast or 2 tsp Bread machine yeast
|• 1 1/3 cup water
• 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Mix together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and olive oil, and knead completely together. Dough may be lump. Cover with a towel in allow to rise for one hour.
2. After one hour, re-knead the dough. Allow to rise, covered, for another two hours.
3. Split dough into two pieces. Knead both parts into balls, and put one in the fridge, wrapped in wax paper (will keep for a few days).
4. On a large, flat, lightly floured surface, flatten the dough and work from the center out, stretching the dough into a large, flat pie. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can toss the dough to stretch it further.
5. Using a fork, poke holes evenly across the surface for a thinner, crispier crust.
Pesto Chicken Pizza with Creamy Garlic Sauce
|• Pizza Dough (as above)
• 1 package of vegan chicken, such a Gardein strips
or May Wah brand
• 1/2 cup Stacy’s Pesto
• 1/2 cup soymilk
• 1/4 cup vegetable or chick-un broth
• Half of a 15 oz can of cannellini beans
|• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 2 Tbsp flour
1. Coarsely chop up chicken strips and toss with 1/2 cup basil pesto.
2. Rinse cannellini beans, and place in blender with soymilk, nooch, and salt and pepper.
3. Saute garlic in olive until it just starts to brown, then add flour, whisking in.
4. Slowly add the milk and broth, whisking lumps. Once stirred, add the mixture from the blender, and continue stirring and cooking until mixture is thick. If mixture is too thick, you could add a few more tablespoons of soymilk.
5. Spread sauce over pizza and top with chicken strips.
6. Bake at 475 for 20-25 minutes, preferably on pizza stone or pie pan.
Here is the dough with the sauce.
Ready to go into the oven!
The finished product!